As Muslims we often hear the virtues of being a mother and the benefits that kids bring to them. While discussing it, fatherhood is often ignored and motherhood is what is emphasized. So, I decided to compile a list of some lessons that I’ve learnt of fatherhood that children bring with them. All the fathers-to-be and new fathers will find it beneficial insha’Allah and should try to fill in the necessary gaps proactively for the better future of their children!
So once you’re a father, you’ll find the following things happenings:
- Your love for your spouse has deepened
- You have to take responsibility of not only your own action but also your family’s
- You have to choose baby’s sleep time to get some rest. He is too small to follow your routine
- Even if you start following your infant’s sleep cycle, you have to strive hard to get a better sleep 😛
- Now you starts feeling older
- You have multiple jobs now. One that is outside your house, earning money for the family, and the other with your cute little angel at home
- The unique feeling you get when your baby looks at you and smiles
- You realize the hardship that your parents have gone through, skipped sleep, enjoyed cramps in their biceps carrying you at nights for sleep, declining all the fun with friends because they were busy with you.
- Time passes too quickly. You angel’s birth feels moments ago
- Technically, you have lesser time to spend with you spouse, but quality of that time is increased Alhamdulillah
- Most of the time you’re busy in nurturing your kid, either physically, or spiritually by talking to your wife about his upbringing, values and character
- You are future oriented. You think proactively
- You are planning your child’s schooling according to Islamic values and planning for him to become a Hafiz and Qaari of Al-Furqan (the differentiator between the right and the wrong, another name of Qur’an)
- You start seeing life as an opportunity to shape up a human being, to inspire a complete nation (through his progeny) to become Allah’s slave and you and your wife becoming the leaders of Muttaqoon yourself
- You find it difficult to manage your relationship with your wife, why because now she has two babies to handle, you and your baby! She’s fragile so handle with care 😉
- Your wife loves you even more, for helping her out in the baby chores, makes du’aa for you, and prays for you to stay with him till the end
- All your childish, immature and irresponsible behavior is gone. You have to be a DAD now and you need to be responsible. Expect your kid to be exactly like you
- You are more concerned about savings now, because living in an expensive era, its important when it comes to good education and Islamic nurturing of your kids
- Now you‘re remembering Allah SWT and his commandments more. You have a journey to walk with you family. Your journey back to home, to Jannah!
Alhamdulillah I have found my experience to be life changing. Do you find yours? Please share more lessons with me so that I can learn even more 🙂
The writer is a software engineer and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org