- Let everyone close their eyes.
- Imagine a scenario when you are subconscious
- All you hear is bombs and gun shots but because of subconsciousness you can’t open your eyes
- You are panicking inside what’s going on and where are you
- Finally you manage to open up your eyes and find yourself in the middle of a war. A war that you never know when it started and why it started
- You only wake up to find dead people all around yourself and at the edge of it you find your relatives, your friends, your family and so many others you know from your life, whom you love so much, who were so dear to you
- You are extremely frightened and with it angry and enraged as well due to the loss of your relatives and your belongings in this world
- Only if in reality who would like to know how to survive and how to identify your enemy, open your eyes.
What will you do now?
How will you know who is your enemy?
The real ENEMY:
- Real name: Iblees
- Age: before the creation of Adam and Eve AS
- Previous occupation: Allah’s slavery
- Current and final occupation: Securing the path to Hell for all human beings in the Akhirah with him
- Kind: Jin, made up of smokeless fire
- He is invisible to the eye of the human beings
- He can whisper directly into the human brain [There are other attributes of him as well, however we discussed only these two in this lecture. More to come insha’Allah]
1. You can’t see him but he (Satan) can see you:
يَا بَنِي آدَمَ لَا يَفْتِنَنَّكُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ كَمَا أَخْرَجَ أَبَوَيْكُم مِّنَ الْجَنَّةِ يَنزِعُ عَنْهُمَا لِبَاسَهُمَا لِيُرِيَهُمَا سَوْآتِهِمَا ۗ إِنَّهُ يَرَاكُمْ هُوَ وَقَبِيلُهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا تَرَوْنَهُمْ
Dr. Mohsin Khan’s translation: O Children of Adam! Let not Shaitan (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents [Adam and Hawwa (Eve)] out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiments, to show them their private parts. Verily, he and Qabiluhu (his soldiers from the jinns or his tribe) see you from where you cannot see them. [Surah Aarah 7: ayah 27]
2. He whispers directly into our brains:
وَإِمَّا يَنزَغَنَّكَ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ نَزْغٌ فَاسْتَعِذْ بِاللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
And if an evil whisper comes to you from Shaitan (Satan) then seek refuge with Allah. Verily, He is All-Hearer, All-Knower. [Surah Aaraf 7: ayah 200]
وَقُل رَّبِّ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ هَمَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِينِ
And say: “My Lord! I seek refuge with You from the whisperings (suggestions) of the Shayatin (devils). [Surah Al-mominoon – 23: ayah 93]
Why is Satan our enemy?
وَإِذْ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ اسْجُدُوا لِآدَمَ فَسَجَدُوا إِلَّا إِبْلِيسَ قَالَ أَأَسْجُدُ لِمَنْ خَلَقْتَ طِينًا
Dr. Mohsin Khan’s translation: And (remember) when We said to the angels: “Prostrate unto Adam.” They prostrated except Iblis (Satan). He said: “Shall I prostrate to one whom You created from clay?”
قَالَ أَرَأَيْتَكَ هَٰذَا الَّذِي كَرَّمْتَ عَلَيَّ لَئِنْ أَخَّرْتَنِ إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ لَأَحْتَنِكَنَّ ذُرِّيَّتَهُ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا
[Iblis (Satan)] said: “See? This one whom You have honoured above me, if You give me respite (keep me alive) to the Day of Resurrection, I will surely seize and mislead his offspring (by sending them astray) all but a few!”
قَالَ اذْهَبْ فَمَن تَبِعَكَ مِنْهُمْ فَإِنَّ جَهَنَّمَ جَزَاؤُكُمْ جَزَاءً مَّوْفُورًا
(Allah) said: “Go, and whosoever of them follows you, surely! Hell will be the recompense of you (all) an ample recompense.
وَاسْتَفْزِزْ مَنِ اسْتَطَعْتَ مِنْهُم بِصَوْتِكَ وَأَجْلِبْ عَلَيْهِم بِخَيْلِكَ وَرَجِلِكَ وَشَارِكْهُمْ فِي الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَوْلَادِ وَعِدْهُمْ ۚ وَمَا يَعِدُهُمُ الشَّيْطَانُ إِلَّا غُرُورًا
“And Istafziz [literally means: befool them gradually] those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allah’s disobedience), make assaults on them with your cavalry and your infantry, mutually share with them wealth and children (by tempting them to earn money by illegal ways usury, etc., or by committing illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), and make promises to them.” But Satan promises them nothing but deceit.
إِنَّ عِبَادِي لَيْسَ لَكَ عَلَيْهِمْ سُلْطَانٌ ۚ وَكَفَىٰ بِرَبِّكَ وَكِيلًا
“Verily! My slaves (i.e the true believers of Islamic Monotheism), you have no authority over them. And All-Sufficient is your Lord as a Guardian.”
What do you have to do then?
- Know exactly what does Allah wants from you when you walk the way of Islam, remember the habit of gaining knowledge of Deen. Click here to know the 7 habits of Truely Successful people
- Know what different tricks Satan has been using throughout history to create illusions with mankind, for that we dedicate this month to study Satan inshaAllah. You may start with these (1) Six Attacks by Shaytaan – Ten Defenses and an excellent book The Devils Deception by Ibn e Jauzi for those who would have good study of Deen.
- Whenever you think something, try to analyze it and then differentiate it from your thinking and waswasa from Satan. Once you are in a regular practice of it, you’ll know how exactly satan attacks at so many different levels. insha’Allah
QUICK BONUS TIPS to get rid of Satan the accursed:
1) Seeking refuge with Allaah from him;
2) Reading al Mu’awathatain [Surat an Nas and Surat al Falaq];
3) Reading Ayatul Kursi;
4) Reading Surat al Baqarah;
5) Reading the ending of Surat al Baqarah [last two verses];
6) Practicing the remembrance of Allaah a lot;
7) Performing ablution along with prayers;
8) Refraining from supernumerary (extra) looking around, talking, eating and mixing with people.
9) Praying on time
10) Controlling yourself in anger
We pray to Allah SWT to guide us all to the straight path and give us the strength to win over this enemy so that we attain Jannah easily. Verily, this would be a great success. For more, stay tuned with the blog with my upcoming lecture this sunday at Dewan e Khas Mosque, Qaddafi Stadium Lahore on the topic, CounterStrike: 7 deadly traps insha’Allah. Click here to follow the event page.______________________________________________________________________________  : There is a mistake in the lecture about Satan trapping Eve first to convince him to eat out of the forbidden tree. The true concept is both of them were trapped by Satan as mentioned in the Quran as follows:
فَأَزَلَّهُمَا الشَّيْطَانُ عَنْهَا فَأَخْرَجَهُمَا مِمَّا كَانَا فِيهِ ۖ وَقُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا بَعْضُكُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ ۖ وَلَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ مُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمَتَاعٌ إِلَىٰ حِينٍ
“But the Shaitan made “them both” fall from it, and caused them to depart from that (state) in which they were; and We said: Get forth, some of you being the enemies of others, and there is for you in the earth an abode and a provision for a time.”
[Surah Al-Baqarah 2 – Ayah -36]